Welcome to Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad
DULUTH'S FIRST RAILS !
A unique, one-of-a-kind railroad experience!!
WE WILL BE OPERATING THROUGH THE 2016 SEASON!
WEEKEND RIDES BEGINNING MID-JUNE
VOLUNTEERS ALWAYS WELCOME
Check out our Volunteer Page to find something of interest.
Join up. It is great family fun!
SAVE THE TRAIN !
The Future Operation of our Duluth Tourist Railroad in Doubt
The Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad (LS&M) is in danger of permanently losing it's track which will put the entire tourist train out of operation.
- The LS&M has operated as a tourist railroad for 35 years, along the St Louis River in West Duluth, following the original tracks of the first railroad into Duluth in 1870.
- The LS&M, run entirely by volunteers, helps preserve the historical significance of this first railroad into Duluth.
- The railroad connects the wester river communities and also runs through the US Steel superfund cleanup site in Morgan Park/West Duluth.
- The massive cleanup effort is expected to remove the LS&M railroad track, disrupting the tourist train service during the completion of the project for up to three years (or permanently).
- Returning the railroad tracks to their original location would require prior planning of the project managers (MPCS & US Steel) and the landowner of the area (City of Duluth)..
- The LS&M does not have representation into this planning process.
- The City of Duluth and community groups of West Duluth are discussing the merits of creating a hiking/biking trail over the track bed or establishing a side by side Rail & Trail concept.
- The LS&M supports the cleanup of pollution caused by the old US Steel plant which includes the area along the St Louis River where the train travels.
- The LS&M would like US Steel to replace the track when the area is restored - as well as compensate the railroad for loss of three year's revenue.
PLEASE SUPPORT OUR RAILROAD!Make a supportive comment on the situation faced by the Lake Superior & Mississippit Railroad by sending a letter to the Editor of the Duluth New Tribune and/or the Mayor of the City of Duluth:
Duluth News Tribune email@example.com
424 West First Street
Dululth, Mn 5582
Duluth City Council firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayor Emily Larson email@example.com
411 West First Street
Duluth, Mn 55802
City Hall, Rm 403
411 West first Street
Duluth, Mn 55802
HELP SUPPORT THE RAILROAD - BUY A T-SHIRT !!!
Show your support for this organization with the purchase of an LS&M shirt.
Select a shirt or hoodie from this link to
"BIG FROG" CUSTOM T-SHIRTS OF DULUTH
or stop at the Store to customize your shirt color or style.
5115 BURNING TREE ROAD, SUITE #315B, DULUTH, MN, 55811 218-491-6400
- The LSMRR tourist train departs every Saturday & Sunday at 10:30 am & 1:30 pm for a 1 hour & 40 minute ride along the St. Louis River.
- The season runs from Mid-June 2016 through Mid- October, 2016.
- The ride departs from the ticket office on Grand Ave across from the Lake Superior Zoo (behind the Little Store).
- No reservations necessary, however, group tickets may be purchased in advance. (See Scheduel/Fare/Charter page)
- Group charters are available by reservation only. (See Schedule/Fare/Charter page)
Historic Route: The ride follows the last six miles of the 1870’s track of the first train into Duluth,, the original Lake Superior & Mississippi.
Natural Setting: The train traces the St Louis River providing excellent viewing of nature & wildlife.
- Wildlife abounds – Bald Eagles, Great Blue Herons, Turkey Vultures, Loons, Swans, Geese & Ducks with their young are common sights along with deer, fox & various other animals.
- The train crosses Mud Lake Causeway with water on both sides of the track.
- The fully narrated trip tells the rich history along the river.
Antique Equipment: Vintage equipment includes---
- two 1912 passenger coaches, both 100 years old this year-2012 !
- a 1946 engine
- an open-air Safari Car.